Appraisals & Market Value
Learn more about how much a house is worth before making an offer. Here we provide important information about housing prices, appraisals, and market value. These resources are provided in order to give Western Colorado home buyers knowledge and confidence when making their new purchase!
Do I need a home inspection?
Yes. Buying a home “as is” is a risky proposition. Major repairs on homes can amount to thousands of dollars. Plumbing, electrical and roof problems represent significant and complex systems that are expensive to fix.
How do I find a home inspector?
Your realty agent is one source. But keeping them independent from the agent may be a good idea. Inspectors are listed in the yellow pages. You can ask for referrals from friends. Ask for their credentials, such as contractor’s license or engineering certificate. Also, check out their references.
Making an Offer
Can you buy homes below market?
While a typical buyer may look at five to 10 homes before making an offer, an investor who makes bargain buys usually goes through many more. Most experts agree it takes a lot of determination to find a real “bargain.” There are a number of ways to buy a bargain property:
- Buy a fixer-upper in a transitional neighborhood, improve it and keep it or resell at a higher price.
- Buy a foreclosure property (after doing your research carefully).
- Buy a house due to be torn down and move it to a new lot.
- Buy a partial interest in a piece of real estate, such as part of a tenants- in-common partnership.
- Buy a leftover house in a new-home development.